Thursday, June 25, 2009

Typeface v. Font



// Letter within a letter; French Vogue.

At Pratt, students are required to take fairly extensive typography classes. A professor I had with a slight Napoleon complex refused to let his students use the word "font". Why? Apparently it is "wrong".

Now that I am constantly around art directors and designers, I realize that my professor was full of pretentious shit. (: The words typeface and font are interchangeable in the real world. Then again, I suppose art school is its own dimension.

What do you think? Typeface or font, or both?

3 comments:

  1. unless you are an animation student, then you do your own thing come second year

    ReplyDelete
  2. metonym.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font

    I Kiss James Tung.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS IS AWESOME.

    MK, he thinks he is god...well I think so too. actually, instead tell your bosses "GOD told me that the word 'font' is wrong and should never be used again".

    i feel like we are the same person. my true love is also children's book illustration and i also started interning at a fashion ad agency too. yay. you should take children's book with hurst (with me) next year!!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete